Friday, November 09, 2007

Oh, Lordy.

Well, today has been a mixed bag. First, it is almost 4:30 and i'm still at work. Not getting anything done, but I'm here nonetheless.

I did make huge progress on a conference presentation I will be making next week in New York. (Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!). This meaning that I finished the paper and created most of the powerpoint. I also ordered a new external hard drive and this cool device for automatically forwarding my presentation. It also has a built-in timer! And it's wireless!



The coolest. What with my shiny new printer and this gadget, I should win some kind of technology award. Or at least be given tenure.

This evening it's a women's basketball game. Tomorrow, tons of reading students' poetry and responding. I have to say that I find responding to students' poems much harder than responding to their academic papers or even to their memoirs. Is it because I don't have much experience with responding to students' poems? Or because their poems are so much more personal than their academic papers? Or because I don't want to intrude with my poetic voice into theirs?

Anyway, that's what I'll be working on this weekend. That and trying to get ready to head out of town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be going to NCTE convention...I am so jealous!!!! Have a great time...I wish I could hear your presentation. What's it on?

Roxann

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I find that people's poems tend to be *very* personal, so I can understand why you would hesitate to intrude on such a piece. But, knowing you, I think you can still offer some good, constructive words to help them and I think that it will be enough for them. By this point, I really believe that they trust you and trust that you're being honest.

Now, go read some poems. :)