Monday, November 17, 2008

NaBloPoMo '08 #17: Momentary Panic

This morning, as algebra instruction, continued, I remembered why I never liked mathematics in high school or college. My instructor started us on logarithmic functions. I do have a faint memory of logarithms from high school. Much more powerful is my memory of overwhelming panic when faced with logarithms.

OK, it's been 20-some-odd years since then, but didn't this morning bring back exactly the same form of panic? Lucky for me, I'm a grown-up now. I still don't exactly understand what's going on, but I know I'm capable of figuring it out. Easily. By reading and working on it.

I wish I could go back to that high school girl and tell her to take a deep breath, bring home her algebra book, and figure it out for herself. That's what the grown-up me will be doing.

No comments: