Thursday, January 03, 2008

Completely Up to Date on Heroes

As you may be able to guess from the widget related to NaBloPoMo on the left side of this blog, I'm a fan of the NBC television show Heroes. I got started watching it on the Netflix site -- did you know that you can watch lots of movies and television shows on Netflix, if you have an account? -- and then I found www.hulu.com.

It took a couple of days for me to get registered and to receive my invitation to login, but now that I have become a member, I have found the site to be almost flawless. They have the entire second season of Heroes, so I was able to watch the whole thing, with almost no commercials. I say "almost" because each episode has a 15-30 second commercial -- always from the same company -- where the normal commercial interruptions would be. The commercials were only minimally annoying --- except for the Verizon commercial for their phone "Juke," the jingle to which was extremely repetitive by itself, and then once I saw the same commercial 6 times or so I was ready to yank out those dancers' hair. Strand. By. Strand.

So what do I like about Heroes? I'm always driven by characters, and these characters have interesting abilities. The foundation for the series is that certain people -- apparently at random, but perhaps this is genetic? -- have developed interesting and supernatural abilities, such as the ability to walk through walls, move through time and space at will, fly, move objects, find people, and to heal from any injury. Perhaps I have ability envy? Because I would love to have what one of the new characters from Season 2 has: anything she sees someone do (on television, thus far), she can do herself. The scientists call this "muscle memory." So far, this character has mastered making roses out of tomatoes, all kinds of kung fu types of moves, and some Jackie Chan tricks.

I think one of the cool things about hulu is that when I stop a video, even if I log out of the site, the video starts at the same place when I come back. So nice and easy.

No comments: