Friday, October 19, 2007

Some Stuff

I didn't attend either of the offered brown bag T&P discussion meetings this year (in which junior faculty can ask questions of members of the college T&P committee), though I have in the past. They're actually quite helpful, though the nervous energy strafing through the room is a bit off-putting.

It felt good to know that I don't need to attend that meeting, that the papers are all out, the packet will soon be turned in, and it's pretty much out of my hands at this moment.

Now if I had spent the time grading the looming stack of papers threatening to take over my office, THAT would have been perfect. But no, I didn't. I messed around with various screen video and voice recording systems, ways to post podcasts (short ones) so that my students could read them. I did end up using a free software called WildVoice to finish providing feedback to my students' memoirs (and I think I was able to provide much better and more thoughtful feedback than I ever have before because I just talked into a microphone about strengths of the writing, areas that needed work, etc.). I'm a bit put off by the posting site for WildVoice, as when I went to see who had downloaded their feedback, there were all these pictures of scantily clad women in the advertisements. Not really the kind of academic ambiance I was shooting for there!

But anyway, Slogger and I just returned from the volleyball game (we won in 4) and will be heading out for a football game this weekend in nearby military town. The weather is supposed to be beautiful.

Yes, I'm taking a small stack of papers to read in the car. Can't help it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you find WildVoice Studio helpful. I'm sorry that you got an eyeful from our advertisements on WildVocie.com. We don't directly control those ads and the truth is when you're in the business of giving away free software and services on the Internet, it is hard to be picky about the ads you run.

There are lots of ways to use WildVoice.com to host your podcasts and present those podcasts from other sites (like your blog or a school site).

Take a look at
http://www.wildvoice.com/Pages/HowToMySpace.aspx for some suggestions. There are other ways too, if you want some help just drop us an email at support@wildvoice.com

Michael Levy
WildVoice.com