Thursday, September 18, 2008

Losing It

No, not my mind.

I got on the scale this morning, expecting to have gained a couple of pounds, due to not exercising, not really paying attention to what I eat (although, see below for a caveat), and generally being stressed and anxious about life and teaching and etc.

Instead, I had lost three pounds.

That is a shocker!

I can only attribute this loss to the daily riding of my new cruiser, the cutting back of carbs and booze in an attempt to lower my triglycerides, and perhaps aforementioned stress and anxiety?

Anyway, I'll take it.

In other news, the students in my college algebra class yesterday had me rolling my eyes and snorting with laughter. First, there is the fact that my instructor is an undergraduate and looks like he is about 12. Granted, he seems to know his math. Then there are the two girls in the back row (and yes, I'm using "girls" advisedly, because they look and act like 8th-graders who are getting to go to the prom with a senior) who NEVER STOP TALKING the entire class. The instructor doesn't take roll, so I'm not sure why they are there. Certainly not to learn anything.

And then there was the poor kid on the back row with a cold, who blew his/her nose at least 30 times in a 50-minute period. No kidding. It got to the point where every time I heard a nose blowing from behind me, I started giggling and couldn't stop. Seriously. I think I even snorted a couple of times.

I'll post more later about the interesting computer system for doing our homework online, which I love but the other students hate.

For now, I'm off to teach a class, attend a meeting (with pizza, which I will not eat), teach another class, attend a meeting, and then go to a volleyball game. Ha. Crazy day.

2 comments:

Jen said...

What?! You're in a college algebra class this semester?!? Me too!! :o) However, after three attempts of taking it at the U (and quitting every time because of the TERRIBLE instructors!), I'm now taking it at our local community college. And this time, it's going much better. I've decided that it must be a "math thing" for the instructors to be so odd (my current instructor is pretty crazy!), but so far this instructor is at least TEACHING in a sensible manner! :) Anyway, enjoy the class (if you can use "enjoy" with "math class" at the same time! ;).

Dr. Bad Ass said...

I started taking is last spring, and then had to drop it because of Slogger's heart attack. So .... I'm retaking it this fall. Chemistry 1030 next semester.